It’s that time of year again: the temperatures drop, the days get shorter and you begin to go into hibernation mode (don’t we all wish?) Now, I’m not sure how it is in the rest of the country, but where I live, it’s not getting very cold just yet. Normally, I’d be delighted at this thought because I’m a summer girl through and through. The thing is, though, it feels completely unnatural when the seasons don’t quite go as planned.
While we sit and patiently wait for the leaves to turn color, there are a few things we can do to at least make it feel like autumn. While we can’t control the outdoors, we can do whatever we want indoors! Here are a few ideas to easily cozy up your home.
- Mini Lights. There’s something so magical about a string of mini lights twinkling invitingly. Maybe it’s the fact that the bulbs are so tiny or that they create a wonderful, soft glow. Either way, I find mini lights so irresistible and there are so many ways to incorporate them into a space. It doesn’t matter if you have a big, small or in-between room, you can always find a spot for string lights. Frame them around a window, create a canopy on the ceiling or do a straightforward row of them along a wall. I promise they’ll look great!
- An Electric Fireplace. What’s more cozy than a fire? If you don’t already have a built-in fireplace, there are so many great options nowadays for electric ones. All you have to do is plug it in and *boom*, you have a fire! OK, maybe it’s not a real fire, but it’s going to feel pretty darn close and that’s what matters.
- Candles. Much like mini lights, candles add a magical vibe to any space. The great thing is, there are so many options for candles out there and you don’t have to spend much at all! Personally, I love Bath & Body Works the best because they always have interesting new fragrances every single season. You could have the scent of a fresh apple pie with one flick of a lighter and you don’t even have to get off the couch to bake! ~Winning!~
- A Big Cup O’ Tea. What’s better than tea? Coffee. OK, fine, you got me there. Tea is a close second, though. While not exactly a “design” element, it’s always great to have a hot, soothing cup of tea close by. One thing you could do is create a tea cart. All you need is a bar cart, small rack or small table, a kettle, some of your favorite teas (bonus points if they’re in cute containers), a few mugs, a teaspoon and sugar or sweetener. Now you can have tea all day, erry day.
- Cable Knit Cushions. There’s something so timeless about cable knit cushions. They add instant coziness to a room because they’re like a warm sweater….but for your pillows! You don’t even have to go out and get whole new pillows, you can just replace the covers of your current ones. Bonus: if you’re crafty, you could even knit your own.
- Fluffy Blankets: Let’s be real, just one blanket won’t cut it. In order to achieve true coziness, you need a big pile of ’em. You can toss them artfully on your couch, put them all in a cute basket or – my favorite option – arrange them on a blanket ladder (keep an eye out for my DIY blanket ladder coming soon). Having a fluffy throw at hand will ensure you’re always nice and toasty.
So, now that you have your interior all ready for fall, maybe the weather will follow. Until then, at least you can enjoy a nice, cozy atmosphere at home. Hey, at least you’ll be ready once the cooler weather actually hits!