Every year, despite summer being my favorite season, I get weirdly excited when it comes time for fall. There’s something so amazing about the leaves changing colors, pumpkin spice everything and, best of all, fall fashion. Of course, this totally means that I get to re-vamp my entire fall wardrobe, right? OK, maybe not completely, but it always makes me want to buy all the bags, all the boots, all the scarves, all the…ok, you get the point.
It’s so easy to get completely carried away buying whatever’s trendy each season and getting caught up in having the latest and greatest. That being said, investing in the right key pieces will give you a great base for your wardrobe and you can always add your own flair to each outfit. Here are my top six basic fall fashion staples.
- A cute blanket scarf. Or two. Or three. You can find these everywhere this year and you can get a great quality one for pretty cheap. Check places like Winners, TJ Maxx, Marshalls or Forever 21 for tons of great prints at great prices.
- A cozy cardigan. These are great for throwing over anything and they look just as great with jeans as they do with a dress or skirt. If you get a few key colors like black, beige or white and then get one or two in a statement color or print, then you’ll be set. I’m a huge fan of Winners, TJ Maxx and Marshalls, so just like with the scarves, you’ll probably find what you’re looking for there. I’ve gotten so many of my cardigans for around $30 or less. You really can’t argue with that!
- A white tee. This is actually a great item to have year-round. I could write an entire blog post about the versatility of white tees (hmm, there’s an idea…). There have been so many days where I think I have nothing to wear, and I end up going back to a good ol’ white t-shirt which never fails me. Throw your cardigan and blanket scarf over that and your look will be on point for fall. My favorite places to get a good quality t-shirt are Pink by Victoria’s Secret and Old Navy. Best of all: they’re reasonably priced.
- A puffy vest. This is definitely an item that you could splurge on, especially if you want one you’ll wear year after year. The great thing about puffy vests is that they never really seem to go out of style. I bought a Canada Goose one because they’re known for superior warmth and quality (and I’m Canadian, so I’ve gotta represent). Since I’m going to wear it for many years, it’s worth it. That being said, Old Navy has very cute ones this year and you can get them on sale for around $25.
- Ripped jeans. This is the year of ripped jeans, it seems. Whether you get them in light or dark denim, with lots of tears or just one small one, they look fantastic. I’ve always had a thing for ripped jeans, so it makes me happy to see them everywhere again. All you really need is one lighter and one darker pair to add to your current jeans rotation and you’ll be set.
- Thigh high boots. This year, thigh high boots are having a major moment. I can’t open my Instagram without seeing at least half a dozen girls in the cutest tall boots. They look great, are super flattering and, best of all, they’ll keep you even warmer because of how tall they are. You can find these pretty much anywhere this year, so go out and find your perfect pair!
If you stock your wardrobe with these staples, you’ll be ready for whatever fall has to throw at you. For everyday wear, these items alone make for a great outfit. Mix and match these with whatever else you have in your closet and you’ll have so many options.
PS. Why am I suddenly craving a pumpkin spice latte?